From: Joris Van den Bogerd <joris.vandenbogerd@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Looking for help with 2.6 kernel maintenance
Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 23:25:10
1 Hey,
2
3 Count me in on this one. I'm taking a sabbatical from university this year,
4 so I have lots of time to waste.
5 Plus the linux kernel has since forever been on my "to-do" list.
6
7 Cheers,
8
9 Joris (krolden)
10
11 On 4/29/07, Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o> wrote:
12 >
13 > Hi,
14 >
15 > I'm looking to find one or more people to help out with
16 > gentoo-sources-2.6 maintenance (our primary supported kernel).
17 >
18 > I'm looking for someone with at least:
19 > - Interest in kernel stuff, or a desire to become interested
20 > - Time to put towards the tasks
21 > - Enthusiasm to ask lots of questions rather than let stuff
22 > sit around
23 > - Basic experience with bugzilla
24 > - Basic kernel experience (i.e. you can compile your own)
25 >
26 > Having knowledge of kernel internals or experience with kernel hacking
27 > are not requirements because if you have time, interest and ask a lot of
28 > questions then these will come anyway. A lot of the work doesn't involve
29 > technical stuff, plus I was certainly very clueless about all this when
30 > I originally got involved a couple of years ago.
31 >
32 > Being an existing Gentoo developer is not a requirement. Most of the
33 > work is done on bugzilla and via email. This may be a good opportunity
34 > to get involved with development and later become a Gentoo developer for
35 > those that are interested.
36 >
37 > It's an enjoyable task, you get to interact with a lot of very
38 > intelligent people upstream and you end up learning a lot.
39 >
40 > I still intend to continue working on gentoo-sources in large capacity,
41 > but would like to be able to have more time to spend on more aggressive
42 > regression fixing and upstream kernel development.
43 >
44 > Contact me offlist or on IRC if you are interested.
45 >
46 > Thanks,
47 > Daniel
48 > --