From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Questions about SystemD and OpenRC
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2012 13:19:11
1 On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 8:47 AM, Sylvain Alain <d2racing911@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi everyone, for a couple of months now, I see on the list some of
3 > activities about OpenRC been ported to FreeBSD or OpenRC to Debian and other
4 > stuff related to SystemD.
7 You and half the world. Most of the issues you raise are much bigger
8 than Gentoo and are taking the whole linux world by storm.
9
10 > I have some basic questions about all that :
11 >
12 > 1. The SystemD and Udev projetcs are merged now, so what is the impact on
13 > the Gentoo on a short term period ?
14
15 In the short term nothing, although systemd has half-decent support
16 now, the default remains openrc and there are no plans to change that.
19 > 2. I saw on some lists that Gnome/Kde and Xfce plan to use some SystemD API,
20 > so does it means that we will need to install SystemD aside of OpenRC ?
23 Now, no. In the future - nobody really knows for sure, but it seems
24 likely that at least in some cases not only will you need to install
25 it, but you'll need to run it also.
26
27 I'd heard only Gnome was moving in this direction, but perhaps other
28 projects are as well. I'd be surprised if Xfce moves in this
29 direction - they've always been about being minimal.
30
31 > 3. In a long term vision, can OpenRC still exist on a Gentoo box(OpenRC
32 > might be able to boot the box then give the control to SystemD/Udev for the
33 > rest of the boot process) or we will need to migrate to SystemD to be able
34 > to use Gnome/Kde or Xfce ?
37 If you do need systemd for gnome/etc then most likely you'll just want
38 to use it across the board. Trying to run some kind of a hybrid seems
39 like the worst of both worlds.
40
41 > 4. Finally, is there any reason why Gnome/Kde/Xfce wants to add deps related
42 > to SystemD ? I don't understand why these desktops want to depend on a
43 > specific Sysint....
44
45 You'd have to talk to them, but I believe their goal is to go for more
46 of a vertically-integrated experience (which fits more with Gnome or
47 KDE than Xfce, but again the last I'd heard only Gnome was going in
48 this direction so far). Ubuntu is doing similar things with
49 Unity/Upstart.
50
51 I don't know everything that the integration will support, but I can
52 imagine they're interested in things like better WiFi and network
53 roaming support (re-set your network, re-configure your firewall
54 settings, update the UI, etc), better behavior during
55 suspend/resume/etc, handling of things like bluetooth, and so on. I
56 don't run linux on a laptop unless you count my Chromebook so I can't
57 really vouch for what the current experience is like or what needs
58 improvement.
59
60 I've tried to stick to the facts here, at least as far as I'm aware of
61 them. I don't think we need another 50-post thread on The Unix
62 Way(TM) and whether it is a good or bad thing. These developments are
63 going to be a challenge for distros like Gentoo or Debian that aim to
64 be general/meta distributions. It used to be that you could swap out
65 major components and all the APIs/interfaces still worked. In the
66 future it might be much harder to run Gnome on Gentoo on an OSX
67 kernel, etc. However, all of this is a bit speculative and it is hard
68 to say how things will actually turn out.
69
70 Rich