From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Removing src_test from www-client/chromium
Date: Sat, 31 May 2014 17:50:49
1 On 5/29/14, 12:46 PM, Tom Wijsman wrote:
2 > In general it has always worked well after a compile; but, there's every
3 > now and then one or another annoying regression, like recent Chromium
4 > had some font issues or some random tabs crash some versions ago and ...
5 >
6 > If a test catches one of these, you can immediately report the problem;
7 > if it is left untested, you'll have to do a debugging adventure instead.
8
9 This is one of my points: I don't remember a single chromium bug filed
10 in Gentoo that would be caught by a test or that a failing test actually
11 detected.
12
13 By the way, I don't remember seeing many reports about font issues or
14 tab crashes. Please make sure to file them when they occur, or just
15 point me to them in case I somehow missed them.
16
17 > While I don't run tests myself; the need for them is clear, for those
18 > that aim for more production ready systems (eg. university network PCs).
19
20 This seems too theoretical to me. I'd be fine with someone volunteering
21 to maintain chromium's src_test in Gentoo. Unless we have such a person
22 though, it seems to mostly take valuable focus away from bugs that
23 definitely *do* affect our users, for no provable benefit for Gentoo.
24
25 Paweł