From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: phajdan.jr@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Removing src_test from www-client/chromium
Date: Sat, 31 May 2014 18:31:51
1 On Sat, 31 May 2014 19:50:20 +0200
2 ""Paweł Hajdan, Jr."" <phajdan.jr@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 5/29/14, 12:46 PM, Tom Wijsman wrote:
5 > > In general it has always worked well after a compile; but, there's
6 > > every now and then one or another annoying regression, like recent
7 > > Chromium had some font issues or some random tabs crash some
8 > > versions ago and ...
9 > >
10 > > If a test catches one of these, you can immediately report the
11 > > problem; if it is left untested, you'll have to do a debugging
12 > > adventure instead.
13 >
14 > This is one of my points: I don't remember a single chromium bug filed
15 > in Gentoo that would be caught by a test or that a failing test
16 > actually detected.
17
18 Your point covers the lack of tests, or tests that are non-fatal;
19 however, it doesn't cover tests that are fatal, what if they fail?
20
21 > By the way, I don't remember seeing many reports about font issues or
22 > tab crashes. Please make sure to file them when they occur, or just
23 > point me to them in case I somehow missed them.
24
25 They usually go straight to upstream, though I've managed to somehow
26 fix it up; as for Gentoo, some people create forum threads about them.
27
28 (One was due to a library compiled with a less common flag, the other
29 due to fontconfig being a regression magnet; both fun to debug, the
30 former a test wolud've caught, the latter is due to the lack thereof)
31
32 > > While I don't run tests myself; the need for them is clear, for
33 > > those that aim for more production ready systems (eg. university
34 > > network PCs).
35 >
36 > This seems too theoretical to me. I'd be fine with someone
37 > volunteering to maintain chromium's src_test in Gentoo. Unless we
38 > have such a person though, it seems to mostly take valuable focus
39 > away from bugs that definitely *do* affect our users, for no provable
40 > benefit for Gentoo.
41
42 What about provable benefit for upstream? Does upstream /dev/null them?
45 With kind regards,
46
47 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
48 Gentoo Developer
49
50 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
51 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
52 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D