From: Carsten Lohrke <carlo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Multiple Repo Support
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 02:04:31
1 On Tuesday 27 December 2005 02:29, Brian Harring wrote:
2 > So... basically, your concern is with the resolver, not use/slot deps
3 > syntax.
4
5 I did not say that this would have anything to do with the syntax. Am I right
6 to extract from your words that we get rid of ~arch users complains about
7 up/downgrade cycles with Portage 2.1 as well, but have them confronted with a
8 proper error message!? :)
9
10 > > - The dependencies we have are always >=kde-libs/kde-x.y and when KDE 4
11 > > is due, we can change to =kde-libs/kde-3.5* because everything else won't
12 > > be supported anymore. So unless I miss something, kde-libs/kde:X is
13 > > superfluous.
14 >
15 > Missing something /me thinks.
16 > shouldn't really be specifying >=kde-x.y; should be specifying the
17 > slotting. Do that, and you wouldn't have to go back and change it
18 > over to =kde-libs/kde-3.5* ; you just mark the new kde-4 as a
19 > different slot.
20
21 Of course slot dependencies are cleaner. Just that they don't address a
22 practical problem with ebuilds buildable against multiple slotted ebuilds of
23 one packages, but the need to have them, their dependencies and all other
24 ebuilds depending on the latter (ones [sp?]) built against one and the same
25 ebuild ( In reality a set of ebuilds, named KDE X.Y).
28 Carsten