From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Multiple Repo Support
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 02:14:17
1 On Tue, Dec 27, 2005 at 03:01:13AM +0100, Carsten Lohrke wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 27 December 2005 02:29, Brian Harring wrote:
3 > > So... basically, your concern is with the resolver, not use/slot deps
4 > > syntax.
5 >
6 > I did not say that this would have anything to do with the syntax. Am I right
7 > to extract from your words that we get rid of ~arch users complains about
8 > up/downgrade cycles with Portage 2.1 as well, but have them confronted with a
9 > proper error message!? :)
10
11 Never said anything about 2.1 + resolver enhancements (no clue where
12 that one came from). Merely commenting on your raised issues about
13 use/slot deps.
16 > > > - The dependencies we have are always >=kde-libs/kde-x.y and when KDE 4
17 > > > is due, we can change to =kde-libs/kde-3.5* because everything else won't
18 > > > be supported anymore. So unless I miss something, kde-libs/kde:X is
19 > > > superfluous.
20 > >
21 > > Missing something /me thinks.
22 > > shouldn't really be specifying >=kde-x.y; should be specifying the
23 > > slotting. Do that, and you wouldn't have to go back and change it
24 > > over to =kde-libs/kde-3.5* ; you just mark the new kde-4 as a
25 > > different slot.
26 >
27 > Of course slot dependencies are cleaner. Just that they don't address a
28 > practical problem with ebuilds buildable against multiple slotted ebuilds of
29 > one packages, but the need to have them, their dependencies and all other
30 > ebuilds depending on the latter (ones [sp?]) built against one and the same
31 > ebuild ( In reality a set of ebuilds, named KDE X.Y).
32
33 That sounds more like a failure of the ebuild's dep/rdep
34 specification, either that or your hinting at the need to lock down
35 the rdep's an ebuild was built against.
36
37 Either way, still not totally following your complaint, thus an actual
38 example would help (easiest to assume I'm a moron, and start at that
39 level of explanation).
40
41 ~harring