From: Steven Elling <ellings@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some suggestions
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 00:10:43
1 On Monday 08 September 2003 15:42, Steven Elling wrote:
2 > I am an experienced Linux user but I always look at things from the point
3 > of a new user because I once was one and know that if things were done a
4 > little differently it would of kept me from screwing up. For instance, a
5 > new user might start using gentoo, make changes to make.conf and decide
6 > to update his/her system. Well, I could see the system updating portage
7 > and then telling the user to run etc-update. A new user running
8 > etc-update might not completely understand what is going on and fumble
9 > their way through it only to wipe out the changes to make.conf. And,
10 > what about the sleep deprived? It's possible for them to do the same.
11
12 Boom! Case in point:
13
14 Read the mail titled __[gentoo-user] "The Gentoo Way" see'ing linux with new
15 eyes!!__ from Joshua Banks <l0f33t@×××××.com> on the gentoo-user mailing
16 list dated 2003-09-07 22:09:25.
17
18 The e-mail is long but Joshua ran etc-update used -3 and auto merged
19 /etc/make.conf without realizing what he was doing. More than likely all
20 of his setting are gone. If one user has done it, you know plenty of
21 others have as well.
25 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list