From: Wernfried Haas <amne@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Decision to remove stage1/2 from installation documentation
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 16:18:59
1 On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 10:48:06AM -0500, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > > > Give me one example of something that you can do with a stage1 or stage2
3 > > > tarball that you cannot with a stage3 tarball.
4
5 > > Answer: Download it in less than 10 minutes.
6
7 > I'd love to see you do the same with a stage1 tarball + all the
8 > distfiles you'll need to go from stage1 to stage3.
9
10 Assuming you keep all distfiles you already downloaded (which some
11 people do, like me). So you'd just need stage 1, nothing else.
12 Maybe that does not justify keeping stage1 (imho not even though
13 it's useful for me), but it _is_ answering your intial question. ;-)
14
15 Btw, if i use stage 3 and then emerge -e world to recompile my whole
16 system with -omg-optimized i assume stage 3 may lose against stage 1
17 and compiling -omg-optimized from the beginning. Not that it makes
18 much sense to do that though.
19
20 cheers,
21 Wernfried
24 Wernfried Haas (amne) - amne at gentoo dot org
25 Gentoo Forums: http://forums.gentoo.org
26 IRC: #gentoo-forums on freenode - email: forum-mods at gentoo dot org
27 --
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list