From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Decision to remove stage1/2 from installation documentation
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 15:54:10
1 On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 16:26 +0100, Marc Hildebrand wrote:
2 > Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > [..]
4 > > Now, on the topic of the tarballs.
5 > >
6 > > Give me one example of something that you can do with a stage1 or stage2
7 > > tarball that you cannot with a stage3 tarball.
10 > Answer: Download it in less than 10 minutes.
11
12 I'd love to see you do the same with a stage1 tarball + all the
13 distfiles you'll need to go from stage1 to stage3.
14
15 In case you're wondering, it's more than the size of a stage3 tarball,
16 by quite a bit.
17
18 > The question of interest is: Will we keep changing things without a GLEP
19 > that should *never* be touched without one?
20
21 Since when is this GLEP material?
24 Chris Gianelloni
25 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead