From: R Hill <dirtyepic.sk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Decision to remove stage1/2 from installation documentation
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 05:04:40
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 16:26 +0100, Marc Hildebrand wrote:
3 >> Chris Gianelloni wrote:
4 >> [..]
5 >>> Now, on the topic of the tarballs.
6 >>>
7 >>> Give me one example of something that you can do with a stage1 or stage2
8 >>> tarball that you cannot with a stage3 tarball.
9 >>>
10 >> Answer: Download it in less than 10 minutes.
11 >
12 > I'd love to see you do the same with a stage1 tarball + all the
13 > distfiles you'll need to go from stage1 to stage3.
14
15 What about someone on dialup who needs a rescue CD to boot into their system
16 after they've trashed the MBR? 88MiB vs 14MiB is a big difference in this case.
17
18 > In case you're wondering, it's more than the size of a stage3 tarball,
19 > by quite a bit.
20 >
21 >> The question of interest is: Will we keep changing things without a GLEP
22 >> that should *never* be touched without one?
23 >
24 > Since when is this GLEP material?
25
26 Are you kidding? Since it's a fundamentally significant and highly visible
27 change in the workings of Gentoo. The three-stage build system is one of the
28 distinguishing characteristics of Gentoo, up there with source-based, install
29 from scratch, and highly customizable. Every review of Gentoo I've ever seen at
30 least mentions it.
31
32 For the record, I don't think it matters if stage 1 goes away. Make stage 3 the
33 Official and Supported Way of installing Gentoo, but provide stage 1 as a
34 minimal LiveCD/RescueCD option. Make a mention in the install documentation
35 along the lines of
36
37 "It is also possible to do a full install of Gentoo using a minimal Rescue
38 LiveCD and a network connection. This method is depreciated and should only be
39 used if circumstances prevent you using the Universal LiveCD. Note that we do
40 _not_ provide support for systems built using minimal installations, so you're
41 on your own."
42
43 (linkity to a new separate stage 1 doc page)
47 --de.
50 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list