From: Dan Meltzer <parallelgrapefruit@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Decision to remove stage1/2 from installation documentation
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 05:18:05
1 On 11/22/05, R Hill <dirtyepic.sk@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 16:26 +0100, Marc Hildebrand wrote:
4 > >> Chris Gianelloni wrote:
5 > >> [..]
6 > >>> Now, on the topic of the tarballs.
7 > >>>
8 > >>> Give me one example of something that you can do with a stage1 or stage2
9 > >>> tarball that you cannot with a stage3 tarball.
10 > >>>
11 > >> Answer: Download it in less than 10 minutes.
12 > >
13 > > I'd love to see you do the same with a stage1 tarball + all the
14 > > distfiles you'll need to go from stage1 to stage3.
15 >
16 > What about someone on dialup who needs a rescue CD to boot into their system
17 > after they've trashed the MBR? 88MiB vs 14MiB is a big difference in this case.
18 Erm, why would I need a stage 1 for a rescue cd?
19 >
20 > > In case you're wondering, it's more than the size of a stage3 tarball,
21 > > by quite a bit.
22 > >
23 > >> The question of interest is: Will we keep changing things without a GLEP
24 > >> that should *never* be touched without one?
25 > >
26 > > Since when is this GLEP material?
27 >
28 > Are you kidding? Since it's a fundamentally significant and highly visible
29 > change in the workings of Gentoo. The three-stage build system is one of the
30 > distinguishing characteristics of Gentoo, up there with source-based, install
31 > from scratch, and highly customizable. Every review of Gentoo I've ever seen at
32 > least mentions it.
33
34 It removes no functionality, it adds no functionality. It simply
35 changes it. How is this GLEP materiel?
36 >
37 > For the record, I don't think it matters if stage 1 goes away. Make stage 3 the
38 > Official and Supported Way of installing Gentoo, but provide stage 1 as a
39 > minimal LiveCD/RescueCD option. Make a mention in the install documentation
40 > along the lines of
41 >
42 > "It is also possible to do a full install of Gentoo using a minimal Rescue
43 > LiveCD and a network connection. This method is depreciated and should only be
44 > used if circumstances prevent you using the Universal LiveCD. Note that we do
45 > _not_ provide support for systems built using minimal installations, so you're
46 > on your own."
47 >
48 > (linkity to a new separate stage 1 doc page)
52 > --de.
53 >
54 > --
55 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list