From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] proposed shift of files in the tree of non profiles files into seperate dir
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 22:27:12
1 On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 05:48:20PM -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > What other changes are you guys thinking of regarding profiles?
3
4 That would be Marius's department. I'm not willing (personally) to
5 look at revamping profiles till rewrite is finished.
6
7 At that point, new profile's should be able to be just plugged in; I
8 don't care to bite off any more then I already have ;)
9
10 Offhand, I'd expect the removal of package filtering in the packages
11 files (package.mask provides this already), probably a bit of renaming
12 of packages also.
13
14 Why? Packages is vague. Stupid reason to change it I realize, but
15 packages makes sense in a single set, 'system' set view. Rearrange it
16 so that packages isn't auto assumed to be system, stick it in a subdir
17 fex, and you would give profiles the capability to arbitrarily define
18 their own sets.
19
20 Aside from that, the parent implementation could stand a tweak or two.
21 Further, assuming metapkg goes through, virtual is obsoleted. The
22 inclusion of GRP_STAGE23_USE also bugs me a bit; yes it works right
23 now, but what happens when you need to push more info in? Seems like
24 it should be contained on it's own.
25
26 Either way, just a couple of things off the top of my head. My main
27 push for it is cleanup for stand alone repositories, and ensuring
28 anything people attempt with profiles doesn't have side effects on the
29 raw repositories metadata.
30 ~harring