From: "Thomas M. Beaudry" <k8la@×××××××××.com>
To: gregg@××.am
Cc: gentoo-dev@×××××××.com, gentoo-dev@g.o, gentoo-user@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Upgrade, course of action.
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 03:00:42
1 > Everyone keeps telling me how brave I am. I have to say, it doesnt seem
2 > that way to me. Ive got a second drive (exact mirror of the first, same
3 > size) rsyncing every night (over to another server). That is my current
4 > backup solution. I havent had to go to it once. Since I set this up as a
5 > server and started getting these users I havent had a single outage that
6 > wasnt a problem with power (we had 2 real bad storms over the last month
7 > that took out power for 5 hours each, my UPS only does 3 hours tops for
8 > the 3 systems it runs.) Other than that, it has run flawless, and you
9 > want brave. emerge -up world shows nothing right now. It is as up to
10 > date as possible without gcc 3.2. Not a single problem.
11 >
12 > Gregg
15 I'm agreeing with you Gregg. The office server I admin has had no
16 problems in almost a year save power outages. While not as up-to-date
17 as yours, it is more recent than a stock 1.2 installation. There is
18 nothing wrong with the stability of Gentoo. The only problem is that
19 Gentoo requires you to use your brain else it will happily let you shoot
20 yourself in the arse. Once you get your server running the way you
21 like, just keep your hands off of it. Just because Gentoo puts out
22 software upgrades as soon as they are available does not mean that you
23 have to install them. I only upgrade software on the server when it
24 fixes a problem that affects me or provides a new feature that I need.
25
26 What I don't need is a distro telling me what versions of software that
27 I can or cannot run. If I wanted that, I'd be running Debian or Suse or
28 whatever. One of the points of Gentoo is that you make your box the way
29 that you want it. So if you want a stabile box, set it up and then
30 leave it alone. And don't whine because Gentoo releases a new version
31 of software with less testing than you care for. They're providing for
32 others to make their boxes the way they like them as well. What? That
33 newly released update has a feature that you need but you're afraid to
34 install it because the developers didn't do enough testing on it first?
35 Be glad they did release it. Dozens of guys that enjoy living on the
36 edge will get it tested faster than the developers could have done on
37 their own. Just sit back and monitor the lists until you're satisfied
38 that the new release is usable for you.
39
40 Ok, off my soapbox for now...