From: Max Kalika <max@g.o>
To: Rainer Groesslinger <scandium@g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] "cvspserver" local use flag for dev-util/cvs
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 18:13:39
1 Quoting Rainer Groesslinger <scandium@g.o>:
2
3 > I'd like to add a new local use flag called "cvspserver" or "pserver"
4 > for dev-util/cvs.
5 >
6 > Currently, the ebuilds add config files and a cvs user/group (incl.
7 > /var/cvsroot as the home directory) but to keep it more leightweight I'd
8 > like to not add the uid/gid etc. to the system if the flag is not set.
9
10 This is the general trend that bug #12499 is supposed to address. We need
11 a global server/client flag to allow individual ebuilds to disable parts of
12 packages (i.e. when USE=-server, I only want the mysql client installed,
13 not full server. There are many ebuilds that would benefit from this, as
14 is discussed in the bug.)
15
16 Personally, I think it'd be best to get #12499 in place than to add local
17 use flags on individual packages.
18
19 Thoughts?
22 max kalika
23 .. public key: http://www.gentoo.org/~max/max.asc
24 .. fingerprint: 2D59 74B5 8785 3C22 74F2 87B0 6DD4 E810 CBC3 AB79