From: Zack Gilburd <klasikahl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Unmerging dependent packages
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 06:13:38
1 On Tuesday 13 April 2004 23:14, Paul Smith wrote:
2 > Hi all;
3 >
4 > I see in the emerge man page that "unmerge" doesn't remove packages that
5 > depend on the package you're unmerging.
8 > But, that's the behavior I want! In Debian, for example, if I remove a
9 > package than anything that requires that package is also removed. I
10 > need this behavior from Portage as well.
11 >
12 > A read through the emerge man page didn't yield any help; is there any
13 > way to ask for a package _AND_ all packages it depends on be removed?
16 > A related question is this: suppose I upgrade a library. I have 5
17 > packages installed that depend on that library. How can I get Portage
18 > to re-emerge those 5 packages after I've installed the new version of my
19 > library, so that the changes in the new library get picked up?
20 >
21 > In other words, I want a command that says "emerge this, and everything
22 > that depends on it".
25 > Any help?
26
27 emerge gentoolkit; qpkg -I -q PKGNAME
28
29 That will list all installed packages that depend on PKGNAME. It will not
30 automatically unmerge them for you, do some grepping for that.
33 Zack Gilburd
34 http://tehunlose.com
35 GnuPG Key ID: A79A45668240AB6C
36 ICQ: 110719945 | AIM: klasikahl