From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Training points for users interested in helping out with ebuild development
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 21:01:18
1 On Monday 04 May 2009 23:47:08 George Prowse wrote:
2 > Thomas Sachau wrote:
3 > > Mario Fetka schrieb:
4 > >> On Monday, 4. May 2009 19:06:12 George Prowse wrote:
5 > >>> Peter Faraday Weller wrote:
6 > >>>> Hi....
7 > >>>>
8 > >>>> Thanks,
9 > >>>> welp
10 > >>>
11 > >>> Sad to hear it mate.
12 > >>>
13 > >>> As the person who did your first install for you (i think) I think you
14 > >>> will be missed.
15 > >>>
16 > >>> I am quite surprised about what you said about the state of things
17 > >>> because i've got the distinct impression from others that Gentoo has
18 > >>> been improving in the past 12 months.
19 > >>>
20 > >>> About the lack of the developers, something I proposed about 3 years
21 > >>> ago might be applicable: has Gentoo ever thought about doing a "Dev
22 > >>> Day" in much the same way as the "Bug Days"? Advertise a day where
23 > >>> people can come and have a chat with developers and get coached because
24 > >>> there is a vast amount of people and knowledge out there and I never
25 > >>> see anything about Gentoo wanting people.
26 > >>>
27 > >>> If you book them, they will come.
28 > >>>
29 > >>> G
30 > >>
31 > >> and I would be the first to come
32 > >>
33 > >> Mario
34 > >
35 > > For those, who can work with IRC and are interested in working with
36 > > ebuilds, there is already an option:
37 > >
38 > > Join #gentoo-dev-help or even better #gentoo-sunrise and read the
39 > > documentation from the topic. The Sunrise Overlay (with the
40 > > #gentoo-sunrise IRC channel) is open for everyone willing to learn and
41 > > contribute to it. Even normal users can get access, learn how to create
42 > > ebuilds, how to improve them and how to maintain them.
43 > > As a starting point, this is a central overlay, where ebuilds are
44 > > maintained, that dont get a developer as maintainer because of missing
45 > > manpower. Additionally, all contributors learn the ebuild development
46 > > work themselves.
47 > >
48 > > And if you are willing to learn and do continuously good work, there is a
49 > > good chance that you may level up to a developer yourself someday. You
50 > > want an example? This was my way to become a full Gentoo developer. ;-)
51 > >
52 > > So at least for ebuild maintainence, there are good starting points
53 > > (probably other projects also have training grounds like the java or kde
54 > > herds), the bigger problem may be the communication between potential new
55 > > developers and the current developer base and our options to become a new
56 > > developer.
57 >
58 > I think you are missing the point. If you sit and wait for them to join
59 > you will always be understaffed.
60 >
61 > Go on a big dev drive! Announce it all over all the Gentoo's normal
62 > communication channels and other generic linux places! Email some linux
63 > magazines, talk to distrowatch, message some large LUGs. Get people
64 > talking about it. Whatever happens, dont just sit on your hands. Tell
65 > the users that Gentoo needs them and that they can make a difference!
66 >
67 > If you make it a big and special occasion which is planned correctly
68 > with a sufficient number of current developers who are willing to walk
69 > people through how and what it means to be a Gentoo Developer then the
70 > influx could create a new backbone of new developers who will hopefully
71 > be here for years to come.
72 All those things are PR related. Unfortunately Gentoo does not have any PR
73 activity ( ok we have some via Gentoo Planet/Universe ) . We used to have GMN
74 but that died a long time ago. Establishing a proper and active PR team is
75 something that we should consider as a high priority as well :/
76 --
77 Markos Chandras (hwoarang)
78 Gentoo Linux Developer [KDE/Qt/Sound/Sunrise]
79 Web: http://hwoarang.silverarrow.org