From: George Prowse <george.prowse@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Training points for users interested in helping out with ebuild development
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 20:47:11
1 Thomas Sachau wrote:
2 > Mario Fetka schrieb:
3 >> On Monday, 4. May 2009 19:06:12 George Prowse wrote:
4 >>> Peter Faraday Weller wrote:
5 >>>> Hi....
6 >>>>
7 >>>> Thanks,
8 >>>> welp
9 >>> Sad to hear it mate.
10 >>>
11 >>> As the person who did your first install for you (i think) I think you
12 >>> will be missed.
13 >>>
14 >>> I am quite surprised about what you said about the state of things
15 >>> because i've got the distinct impression from others that Gentoo has
16 >>> been improving in the past 12 months.
17 >>>
18 >>> About the lack of the developers, something I proposed about 3 years ago
19 >>> might be applicable: has Gentoo ever thought about doing a "Dev Day" in
20 >>> much the same way as the "Bug Days"? Advertise a day where people can
21 >>> come and have a chat with developers and get coached because there is a
22 >>> vast amount of people and knowledge out there and I never see anything
23 >>> about Gentoo wanting people.
24 >>>
25 >>> If you book them, they will come.
26 >>>
27 >>> G
28 >> and I would be the first to come
29 >>
30 >> Mario
35 > For those, who can work with IRC and are interested in working with ebuilds, there is already an option:
36 >
37 > Join #gentoo-dev-help or even better #gentoo-sunrise and read the documentation from the topic. The
38 > Sunrise Overlay (with the #gentoo-sunrise IRC channel) is open for everyone willing to learn and
39 > contribute to it. Even normal users can get access, learn how to create ebuilds, how to improve them
40 > and how to maintain them.
41 > As a starting point, this is a central overlay, where ebuilds are maintained, that dont get a
42 > developer as maintainer because of missing manpower. Additionally, all contributors learn the ebuild
43 > development work themselves.
44 >
45 > And if you are willing to learn and do continuously good work, there is a good chance that you may
46 > level up to a developer yourself someday. You want an example? This was my way to become a full
47 > Gentoo developer. ;-)
48 >
49 > So at least for ebuild maintainence, there are good starting points (probably other projects also
50 > have training grounds like the java or kde herds), the bigger problem may be the communication
51 > between potential new developers and the current developer base and our options to become a new
52 > developer.
55 I think you are missing the point. If you sit and wait for them to join
56 you will always be understaffed.
57
58 Go on a big dev drive! Announce it all over all the Gentoo's normal
59 communication channels and other generic linux places! Email some linux
60 magazines, talk to distrowatch, message some large LUGs. Get people
61 talking about it. Whatever happens, dont just sit on your hands. Tell
62 the users that Gentoo needs them and that they can make a difference!
63
64 If you make it a big and special occasion which is planned correctly
65 with a sufficient number of current developers who are willing to walk
66 people through how and what it means to be a Gentoo Developer then the
67 influx could create a new backbone of new developers who will hopefully
68 be here for years to come.