From: Mounir Lamouri <volkmar@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Training points for users interested in helping out with ebuild development
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 21:04:39
1 George Prowse wrote:
2 > I think you are missing the point. If you sit and wait for them to
3 > join you will always be understaffed.
4 >
5 > Go on a big dev drive! Announce it all over all the Gentoo's normal
6 > communication channels and other generic linux places! Email some
7 > linux magazines, talk to distrowatch, message some large LUGs. Get
8 > people talking about it. Whatever happens, dont just sit on your
9 > hands. Tell the users that Gentoo needs them and that they can make a
10 > difference!
11 >
12 > If you make it a big and special occasion which is planned correctly
13 > with a sufficient number of current developers who are willing to walk
14 > people through how and what it means to be a Gentoo Developer then the
15 > influx could create a new backbone of new developers who will
16 > hopefully be here for years to come.
17 >
18 I agree with you. Gentoo is not doing enough publicity on needed help (I
19 sincerely think the related page in gentoo.org is out of date) and we
20 can read too often in gentoo.org recruitment pages that "user should not
21 ask and should wait to be asking". I'm not sure most devs are looking to
22 users as potential new devs. It's clearly not a good recruitment policy.
23 Maybe when we are full staffed but surely not when we are understaffed
24 like it looks like.
25 An active recruitment policy like a recruitment campaign should be very
26 positive and I would be glad to help with that.
27
28 Regards,
29 Mounir