From: George Prowse <george.prowse@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Training points for users interested in helping out with ebuild development
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 21:31:32
1 Mounir Lamouri wrote:
2 > George Prowse wrote:
3 >> I think you are missing the point. If you sit and wait for them to
4 >> join you will always be understaffed.
5 >>
6 >> Go on a big dev drive! Announce it all over all the Gentoo's normal
7 >> communication channels and other generic linux places! Email some
8 >> linux magazines, talk to distrowatch, message some large LUGs. Get
9 >> people talking about it. Whatever happens, dont just sit on your
10 >> hands. Tell the users that Gentoo needs them and that they can make a
11 >> difference!
12 >>
13 >> If you make it a big and special occasion which is planned correctly
14 >> with a sufficient number of current developers who are willing to walk
15 >> people through how and what it means to be a Gentoo Developer then the
16 >> influx could create a new backbone of new developers who will
17 >> hopefully be here for years to come.
18 >>
19 > I agree with you. Gentoo is not doing enough publicity on needed help (I
20 > sincerely think the related page in gentoo.org is out of date) and we
21 > can read too often in gentoo.org recruitment pages that "user should not
22 > ask and should wait to be asking". I'm not sure most devs are looking to
23 > users as potential new devs. It's clearly not a good recruitment policy.
24 > Maybe when we are full staffed but surely not when we are understaffed
25 > like it looks like.
26 > An active recruitment policy like a recruitment campaign should be very
27 > positive and I would be glad to help with that.
28 >
29 > Regards,
30 > Mounir
33 I'm always willing to help also. I have plenty of time on my hands.
34
35 First you need a date, then you need some devs who will be at their
36 computers then you can go ape. Message everyone under the sun that
37 Gentoo is going on a recruitment drive on from $date and there will be
38 lots of friendly people in $location, $location and $location to show
39 people what is required.
40
41 Of course it would be easier if we had a list from Gentoo where help is
42 needed most and we could broadcast for people in those areas.
43
44 We could even write a web page where people added their names and
45 details as a kind of pre-signup to test the water and see how many
46 people we might get. Keep the names visible because that might create
47 extra PR.
48
49 "Gentoo is looking for linux personnel and also those familiar with the
50 distribution itself. What is required is either linux experience or
51 experience with Gentoo, knowlege of bash and a helpful, happy attitude..."
52
53 If it were successful then a large group of mentors would be needed.