From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Thomas Kahle <tomka@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Using LINGUAS
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 12:42:32
1 Dnia 2014-07-21, o godz. 13:23:46
2 Thomas Kahle <tomka@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > the OCR software tesseract has many different plugins for
5 > language packs used for OCR for different languages. The ebuild
6 > uses the LINGUAS variable to pass the choice of which packages to
7 > install to the user.
8 >
9 > A reverse dependency is app-text/pdfsandwich which roughly puts
10 > OCR'ed text in a scanned pdf. Since it uses tesseract it
11 > supports exactly those languages that tesseract supports.
12
13 Do I understand correctly that pdfsandwich doesn't have any explicit
14 switches for language support? In other words, adding support for
15 another language requires rebuilding tesseract and not pdfsandwich?
16
17 > Should its ebuild have LINGUAS use flags and then depend on
18 > tesseract with at least those flags set?
19 >
20 > While it seems consistent to put the LINGUAS choice in the most
21 > user facing package, in this case I would actually not put it in
22 > here. It would introduces a point of failure and maintenance
23 > work for the each tesseract upgrade (since the language set
24 > slightly changes from time to time). A typical user would set
25 > LINGUAS in her make.conf anyway. In this case the same choice
26 > applies to both packages anyway. Maybe an einfo is sufficient to
27 > inform the user it?
28
29 I have no idea where did you get the 'most user facing' idea from but
30 this is not really true or useful. The whole idea of libraries like
31 imagemagick is about hiding unnecessary dependencies under single
32 interface -- now imagine every package using imagemagick declaring
33 flags for all the formats supported by it...
34
35 If pdfsandwich itself doesn't do anything with LINGUAS, don't declare
36 it. The rule about USE flags not doing anything applies here. Moreover,
37 LINGUAS are usually set globally so scope is not really an issue here.
40 Best regards,
41 Michał Górny