From: Thomas Kahle <tomka@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Using LINGUAS
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 01:32:03
1 Hi,
2
3 On 21/07/14 21:42, Michał Górny wrote:
4 > Dnia 2014-07-21, o godz. 13:23:46
5 > Thomas Kahle <tomka@g.o> napisał(a):
6 >
7 >> the OCR software tesseract has many different plugins for
8 >> language packs used for OCR for different languages. The ebuild
9 >> uses the LINGUAS variable to pass the choice of which packages to
10 >> install to the user.
11 >>
12 >> A reverse dependency is app-text/pdfsandwich which roughly puts
13 >> OCR'ed text in a scanned pdf. Since it uses tesseract it
14 >> supports exactly those languages that tesseract supports.
15 >
16 > Do I understand correctly that pdfsandwich doesn't have any explicit
17 > switches for language support? In other words, adding support for
18 > another language requires rebuilding tesseract and not pdfsandwich?
19
20 Exactly, pdfsandwich combines tesseract with some postprocessing
21 that is not language specific.
22
23 >> Should its ebuild have LINGUAS use flags and then depend on
24 >> tesseract with at least those flags set?
25 >>
26 >> While it seems consistent to put the LINGUAS choice in the most
27 >> user facing package, in this case I would actually not put it in
28 >> here. It would introduces a point of failure and maintenance
29 >> work for the each tesseract upgrade (since the language set
30 >> slightly changes from time to time). A typical user would set
31 >> LINGUAS in her make.conf anyway. In this case the same choice
32 >> applies to both packages anyway. Maybe an einfo is sufficient to
33 >> inform the user it?
34 >
35 > I have no idea where did you get the 'most user facing' idea from but
36 > this is not really true or useful. The whole idea of libraries like
37 > imagemagick is about hiding unnecessary dependencies under single
38 > interface -- now imagine every package using imagemagick declaring
39 > flags for all the formats supported by it...
40
41 If I don't know anything about tesseract but only install
42 pdfsandwich and then try to scan japanese it won't work out of
43 the box. How should the user know that she has to put japanese
44 in ther LINGUAS variable and rebuild tesseract afterwards?
45
46 Probably a simple einfo in pdfsandwich should do it.
47
48 > If pdfsandwich itself doesn't do anything with LINGUAS, don't declare
49 > it. The rule about USE flags not doing anything applies here.
50 > Moreover, LINGUAS are usually set globally so scope is not
51 > really an issue here.
52
53 I agree.
54