From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] What's going on with the tmpfiles eclasses?
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 13:08:11
1 On Fri, 2019-04-26 at 07:07 -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 4/26/19 12:53 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > > And the only reason we would need a transient directory created and/or
4 > > > cleaned-up is because one of those service managers is going to start a
5 > > > program that needs it. Two of them can use the tmpfiles mechanism, but
6 > > > the others must handle it on their own: in particular, they don't need
7 > > > tmpfiles_process() to do anything.
8 > > >
9 > >
10 > > No. tmpfiles is also used for programs started directly by user, such
11 > > as eix.
14 > Good example. Does eix work on a machine running something other than
15 > systemd or OpenRC?
16
17 Yes, it does.
18
19 > I don't think so -- not if it needs that tmpfiles
20 > entry to be processed every reboot. Thus it should have its own RDEPEND
21 > on virtual/tmpfiles, making the one in the eclass redundant.
22
23 It doesn't need to be processed every reboot. It needs to be processed
24 at least once. Now, if you were doing something fancy like having
25 /var/cache on tmpfs, then it would need to be processed on reboot.
28 > I suspect the same is true of any other example. Let's get to the point:
29 > is there a single example of a package that works with runit, sysvinit,
30 > or daemontools but which needs tmpfiles_process() to run?
31
32 The general assumption we made here is that if you use OpenRC
33 or systemd, you may have fancy stuff like /tmp on tmpfs, and you want
34 tmpfiles processing running every reboot. If you don't, we assume you
35 need to run it at least once, to get the directories initialized.
38 Best regards,
39 Michał Górny