From: Thomas Anderson <gentoofan23@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] controlling src_test
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 14:47:13
1 On Thursday 04 October 2007 09:36:29 Doug Goldstein wrote:
2 > Ravi Pinjala wrote:
3 > > Ryan Hill wrote:
4 > > > There are several packages in portage (and even in base-system) that
5 > >
6 > > fail
7 > >
8 > > > in src_test when userpriv/usersandbox is enabled or disabled. That
9 > >
10 > > is, some
11 > >
12 > > > testsuites fail when run as root and some fail if not run as root.
13 > > >
14 > > > I'd like a simple consistent way to mark or handle these packages
15 > >
16 > > without
17 > >
18 > > > disabling tests altogether (RESTRICT=test). As mentioned recently,
19 > >
20 > > checking
21 > >
22 > > > ${FEATURES} in an ebuild is frowned upon, and it doesn't seem right
23 > >
24 > > to handle
25 > >
26 > > > this on a per-ebuild basis. How would something like this best be
27 > >
28 > > implemented?
29 > >
30 > > > A split up RESTRICT (test_userpriv/test_nouserpriv)? test.eclass?
31 > >
32 > > Something
33 > >
34 > > > else? Looking at the bigger picture, are there any other situations
35 > >
36 > > where
37 > >
38 > > > finer-grained control over the test system would be helpful?
39 > > >
40 > > > While I'm on the subject, I also thought it would be cool to have
41 > >
42 > > the option to
43 > >
44 > > > not die on a src_test failure, but instead to dump the log file and
45 > >
46 > > continue
47 > >
48 > > > on to the install phase. I know this can be done per-ebuild, but
49 > >
50 > > it'd be
51 > >
52 > > > a useful global option.
53 > >
54 > > I, for one, would like to be able to control whether or not to run tests
55 > > that take a huge amount of time to run. Some test suites are
56 > > ridiculously comprehensive, and if we could have an option to disable
57 > > only those, or even run a reduced test suite, that'd be pretty neat.
58 > >
59 > > --Ravi
60 >
61 > Who and what determines if a test is overly comprehensive and takes too
62 > long to run?
63
64 I think most everybody agrees that boost's tests are overly comprehensive. As
65 for others like mysql, a long test may be necessary to ensure everything is
66 working properly.
69 2.6.22-gentoo-r8