From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] tmpfiles: call for testers
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2016 14:33:33
1 On Tue, 8 Nov 2016 17:41:02 -0600
2 William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > All,
5 >
6 > as part of bug 599044 [1], I have created a tmpfiles project which is a
7 > standalone utility to handle systemd style tmpfiles.d files.
8 >
9 > There is currently a live ebuild in the tree, but I haven't done any
10 > releases yet.
11 >
12 > Take a look at it, and anything about it is open for discussion at this
13 > point.
14 >
15 > The name is a bit vague, but honestly I couldn't figure out a better
16 > name. I don't really want openrc in the name, because this is meant to
17 > be more generic than that; it is not meant to require OpenRC to run.
18 > OpenRC will use it, but not the other way around.
19
20 opentmpfiles? tmprc? :-D
21
22 > If you see any bugs, now is also the time to let me know before any
23 > releases are out.
24 >
25 > The plan, once the first release is out, is to rewrite this utility in a
26 > better language. I'm considering C, but if I am comfortable by that time
27 > in Go or Rust, I may use one of them.
28
29 Sounds like a good way to lose 95% [1] of users.
30
31 [1]: Note: it's just a random approximation. It may be underestimated.
34 Best regards,
35 Michał Górny
36 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>