From: Kalin KOZHUHAROV <kalin@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] 2006.0 - me having a bad day?
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 11:36:25
1 Kalin KOZHUHAROV wrote:
2 > Jeffrey Forman wrote:
3 >> On Sun, 2006-02-26 at 22:54 -0500, Andrew Muraco wrote:
4 >>> I second that there is a massive confusion of naming, and this needs to
5 >>> get sorted out (or atleast explained) Because I'm sure the mirrors will
6 >>> start getting slamed with people downloading 2006.0. Lets not waste
7 >>> anyone's bandwidth nor the mirrors by leading people to download the
8 >>> wrong thing.
9 >>>
10 >> Andrew,
11 >>
12 >> I do not mean to cop an attitude, but please give me some time here to
13 >> figure this out. This is the first time I myself am handling the bouncer
14 >> administration for a release, and I would really appreciate some
15 >> patience on your part.
16 >>
17 >> I am updating the page as fast as I find an error in it. Thanks.
18 >
19 > Thank you for your effort, Jeffrey!
20 >
21 > It may turn a good day after all :-)
22 >
23 > Have you (or RT) actually thought of providing a pivoted list for downloads?
24 > I feel it is more reasonable to first choose your arch (i.e. on what hardware
25 > you want to install Gentoo) and then see what options you have.
26 >
27 > As opposed to the following imaginary n00b:
28 > 1. I want a "Universal CD"!
29 >
30 > 2. Hmm, it is not that universal if I need to choose my arch (I've read
31 > the link on arches!)!
32 >
33 > 3. Hey, wait a minute! What is that 64bit - 32bit userland ??? What is 64bit? What is userland? (wasn't coverd under arches)
34 >
35 > 4. Lets do some research... ok, I got it there is difference between kernel that is 64bit and userland, cool! They should have stated: 64bit kernel + 32bit userland (and a plus is better than a minus, even if it is a hyphen)
36 >
37 > 5. Hmm, but I am using P4 after all, so I need x86!
38 >
39 > 6. Oops, where is the x86 Universal CD?
40 >
41 > 7. OK, there is a lonely x86 link under "Gentoo 2006.0 LiveCD", probably that is what I need. But why did the change the name???
42 >
43 > 8. Oh cool they have torrents here! Let me get that x86 Live CD with my torrent tool! Should probably be faster... (click on the torrent link)
44 >
45 > 9. Hmm, that x86-livecd-2006.0 should probably do. It is a CD image, so probably is an ISO file... Click!
46 >
47 > 10. Lets get some coffee, I am tired. But wait, what are these stages bla-bla (reading the handbook) OK, great, I might need them (didn't read that thoroughly after all, kind of tired). The torrents are not that fast after all and there are not enough seeds for stage3-x86-2006.0... (click back)
48 >
49 > 11. And where is the x86 package CD after all!!! Oh, it might be "part"
50 > of the LiveCD? I wonder, but is there any documentation (looking around
51 > the page...) Anywhere I can see the contents of the ISO files [1] (looking
52 > and clicking around...) no.
53 >
54 > 12. Sip from a big mug of coffee - Gentoo is not that hard after all, lets
55 > wait and see what am I downloading...
58 > [1] It might be a good idea to implement that.
61 > So sometiing like:
62 >
63 > Select your download according to your hardware architecture. (see ...
64 > for info on architectures or ... for the explanaiton of different CD
65 > types )
66 >
67 > x86 (486, PentiumIII, Celeron... define it better)
68 > minimal livecd
69 >
70 > amd64 (AMD Athlon64 ...)
71 > minimal install packages
72 > .....
75 > This will be easier not only for n00bs, I guess and is inspired by the
76 > "Don't MAKE me think" book on web design/usability.
77
78 On a second note, the design of our packages.gentoo.org is not bad at all!
79 Why not use it? For example see:
80 http://packages.gentoo.org/packages/?category=net-misc;name=curl
81
82 Replace PV with the different CDs (use <acronym title="Short explanation here">),
83 add the speacial "arches" like 64-32ul with acronym as well.
84
85 Dunnow about colors, but use them consistently (with a legend).
88 Kalin.
92 +-> http://ThinRope.net/ <-+
96 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list