From: Kalin KOZHUHAROV <kalin@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] 2006.0 - me having a bad day?
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 10:45:27
1 Jeffrey Forman wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2006-02-26 at 22:54 -0500, Andrew Muraco wrote:
3 >> I second that there is a massive confusion of naming, and this needs to
4 >> get sorted out (or atleast explained) Because I'm sure the mirrors will
5 >> start getting slamed with people downloading 2006.0. Lets not waste
6 >> anyone's bandwidth nor the mirrors by leading people to download the
7 >> wrong thing.
10 > Andrew,
11 >
12 > I do not mean to cop an attitude, but please give me some time here to
13 > figure this out. This is the first time I myself am handling the bouncer
14 > administration for a release, and I would really appreciate some
15 > patience on your part.
16 >
17 > I am updating the page as fast as I find an error in it. Thanks.
18
19 Thank you for your effort, Jeffrey!
20
21 It may turn a good day after all :-)
22
23 Have you (or RT) actually thought of providing a pivoted list for downloads?
24 I feel it is more reasonable to first choose your arch (i.e. on what hardware
25 you want to install Gentoo) and then see what options you have.
26
27 As opposed to the following imaginary n00b:
28 1. I want a "Universal CD"!
29
30 2. Hmm, it is not that universal if I need to choose my arch (I've read
31 the link on arches!)!
32
33 3. Hey, wait a minute! What is that 64bit - 32bit userland ??? What is 64bit? What is userland? (wasn't coverd under arches)
34
35 4. Lets do some research... ok, I got it there is difference between kernel that is 64bit and userland, cool! They should have stated: 64bit kernel + 32bit userland (and a plus is better than a minus, even if it is a hyphen)
36
37 5. Hmm, but I am using P4 after all, so I need x86!
38
39 6. Oops, where is the x86 Universal CD?
40
41 7. OK, there is a lonely x86 link under "Gentoo 2006.0 LiveCD", probably that is what I need. But why did the change the name???
42
43 8. Oh cool they have torrents here! Let me get that x86 Live CD with my torrent tool! Should probably be faster... (click on the torrent link)
44
45 9. Hmm, that x86-livecd-2006.0 should probably do. It is a CD image, so probably is an ISO file... Click!
46
47 10. Lets get some coffee, I am tired. But wait, what are these stages bla-bla (reading the handbook) OK, great, I might need them (didn't read that thoroughly after all, kind of tired). The torrents are not that fast after all and there are not enough seeds for stage3-x86-2006.0... (click back)
48
49 11. And where is the x86 package CD after all!!! Oh, it might be "part"
50 of the LiveCD? I wonder, but is there any documentation (looking around
51 the page...) Anywhere I can see the contents of the ISO files [1] (looking
52 and clicking around...) no.
53
54 12. Sip from a big mug of coffee - Gentoo is not that hard after all, lets
55 wait and see what am I downloading...
58 [1] It might be a good idea to implement that.
61 So sometiing like:
62
63 Select your download according to your hardware architecture. (see ...
64 for info on architectures or ... for the explanaiton of different CD
65 types )
66
67 x86 (486, PentiumIII, Celeron... define it better)
68 minimal livecd
69
70 amd64 (AMD Athlon64 ...)
71 minimal install packages
72 .....
75 This will be easier not only for n00bs, I guess and is inspired by the
76 "Don't MAKE me think" book on web design/usability.
77
78 Kalin.
82 +-> http://ThinRope.net/ <-+
86 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list