From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Reducing the size of the system package set
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 22:38:06
1 On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 16:42 -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > > Indeed. We ended up having to get perl into the stage1 because of
3 > > exactly these problems. It sucks. I'd love to be able to remove perl
4 > > (and anything else not necessarily required) out of the base system set.
5 > > If they're required in other profiles, they should be added in said
6 > > profiles.
7 >
8 > i often debate simply chucking the perl build requirements of openssl in favor
9 > of autoconf ... maybe i'll set up a git tree on Gentoo's git for this ... i
10 > think that'd solve the "perl required in stages" issue ?
11
12 As far as I know, only openssl would really be affected. If that were
13 fixed, we very likely could drop perl from system. I'd have to check.
14 I *know* that we could drop it from stage1/stage2, though.
15
16 > > Well, openssh has always been questionable. Sure, *I* think it should
17 > > be on any Gentoo system I'd want to touch, but it really isn't necessary
18 > > for a lot of people. Moving this to, say, the "server" profiles only
19 > > would be acceptable to me, but then again, so is leaving it how it is
20 > > now.
21 >
22 > i'd argue pretty vehemently against removing openssh from any default official
23 > Gentoo install. ssh is defacto standard for loginning into any other
24 > machines. it should be on all Gentoo desktops/severs/etc...
25 > specialized/embedded/whatever are certainly free to cull openssh (and doing
26 > so is actually beyond trivial). whether we express this requirement in base/
27 > or frags or something is certainly open for discussion, but i believe
28 > removing it from a stage3 in any of our standard releases is a huge
29 > disservice to everyone.
30
31 Well, I wasn't really saying that it wouldn't end up in the stages.
32 More that by moving it into the sub-profiles, it allows people to choose
33 a profile where it isn't in "system" anymore. Of course, most of this
34 is rather moot considering you can override parts of the profile and
35 someone could quite easily just remove this one package, if they so
36 desired.
39 Chris Gianelloni
40 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
41 Games Developer