From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Reducing the size of the system package set
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 21:44:21
1 On Wednesday 09 January 2008, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 15:51 -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > > Anyway, as having a complete dependency tree is almost impossible
4 > > > because of that, I have an alternative proposal: reducing the size of
5 > > > the system package set. Right now system contains stuff like ncurses,
6 > > > readline, zlib, autoconf, automake and m4, perl, gnuconfig, and so
7 > > > on. Those are packages that certainly would be part of any base Gentoo
8 > > > system, but are those actual part of the system set of packages? I
9 > > > sincerely doubt it.
10 > >
11 > > for ncurses/readline, they certainly are part of the system set. that
12 > > doesnt mean they should not show up in depend strings, it just means they
13 > > are system packages that every Gentoo system should have installed.
14 >
15 > Well, one solution for some of this would be to move said things to a
16 > "higher" level profile. Rather than have them all in base/packages,
17 > move some to default-linux/packages (or even further down, if
18 > appropriate). When the stages get built against these profiles, we
19 > would end up with the complete "system" set, but other profiles
20 > inheriting from the lower profiles like base won't have to negate
21 > things.
22
23 i dont think Diego's goal is completely BSD driven ... so moving them from
24 say "base" to "default-linux" doesnt quite help. they're stuck in this gray
25 middle ground.
26
27 > > i have no problem with shunting the rest. the only thing you need to
28 > > keep in mind is that if we do move all of these things to build-only
29 > > depend (which they are logically), then people who like to depclean their
30 > > system would constantly be removing/adding them.
31 >
32 > Well, unless they were added to another profile. I think the main
33 > reason for Diego's request is for non-Linux non-default profiles that
34 > inherit from base.
35
36 for these build-only deps, it isnt a Linux problem. it's a "any system that
37 compiles thing from source" problem. so non-Linux systems would be just as
38 affected.
39
40 > > not really. the system package set is what went into releases and we
41 > > wanted all of these things in our stage tarballs. it is nigh impossible
42 > > to emerge anything on a Gentoo system without any of these packages, so
43 > > forcing them all by default didnt cause any problems.
44 >
45 > Exactly. I just think that we can still accomplish what Diego is asking
46 > by shifting where things get added to "system" in the profiles. The
47 > end-result would be the same (for default Linux installs) but everybody
48 > else would have a cleaner common base from which to start.
49
50 sure, i'm not arguing for the status quo. but i'm not also not arguing for
51 stripping them all (which would make Diego happy i imagine). i wonder if the
52 profiles frags we talked about a while ago is the only real solution and
53 shuffling packages around in the meantime is only a temporary (and fragile)
54 workaround.
55
56 > > i'd say quite the opposite ... requiring perl in system blows. it's
57 > > there for two reasons: autotools and openssl. but both are build time
58 > > requirements only.
59 >
60 > Indeed. We ended up having to get perl into the stage1 because of
61 > exactly these problems. It sucks. I'd love to be able to remove perl
62 > (and anything else not necessarily required) out of the base system set.
63 > If they're required in other profiles, they should be added in said
64 > profiles.
65
66 i often debate simply chucking the perl build requirements of openssl in favor
67 of autoconf ... maybe i'll set up a git tree on Gentoo's git for this ... i
68 think that'd solve the "perl required in stages" issue ?
69
70 > > > So there are more things that were brought to my attention, like ssh,
71 > > > flex, bison, e2fsprogs, and so on. We should probably look into what to
72 > > > keep, rather than what to remove.
73 > >
74 > > flex/bison are in the exact same boat as autotools. dont know why you
75 > > separated them out. openssh and e2fsprogs are part of the system set
76 > > because every Gentoo system out there should have them installed. if you
77 > > dont like it, feel free to tweak your files locally, but to attempt to
78 > > account for a few people at the detriment of 99.9% of the people out
79 > > there makes no sense at all.
80 >
81 > Well, openssh has always been questionable. Sure, *I* think it should
82 > be on any Gentoo system I'd want to touch, but it really isn't necessary
83 > for a lot of people. Moving this to, say, the "server" profiles only
84 > would be acceptable to me, but then again, so is leaving it how it is
85 > now.
86
87 i'd argue pretty vehemently against removing openssh from any default official
88 Gentoo install. ssh is defacto standard for loginning into any other
89 machines. it should be on all Gentoo desktops/severs/etc...
90 specialized/embedded/whatever are certainly free to cull openssh (and doing
91 so is actually beyond trivial). whether we express this requirement in base/
92 or frags or something is certainly open for discussion, but i believe
93 removing it from a stage3 in any of our standard releases is a huge
94 disservice to everyone.
95 -mike