From: 320095285153-0001@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dual Linux install
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 15:12:17
1 rparkiso@×××××××.net wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 > Here is my situation. I am new to gentoo. I am trying to install
5 > gentoo on my system. I have two IDE disk drives. Drive 2 has Mandrake
6 > 7.1. It contains a /boot partition (hdb0) with grub installed there.
7 > Currently the MBR of the disk one (hda) is setup with BootMagic to
8 > install Windows or Linux Mandrake. I have made one reiserfs partition on
9 > drive 1 (hda8). I want to install gentoo onto that partiton.
10 >
11 > 1. Can I use the /boot (hdb0) partition with both Mandrake and gentoo? How?
12 >
13 > 2. After I untar sys.tbz2 there does not seem to be a kernel in
14 > /usr/src/linux and I cannot find a bootable kernel with a System.map.
15
16 The kernel sources are not installed by default. You must copy the linux-source
17 package to your
18 gentoo partition, chroot there and run
19
20 pkgmerge linux-source....
21
22 Then you can build a kernel.
23
24 Of cause there is a default kernel installed in /boot/boot/bzImage
28 > 3. I also do not understand what I need in the config modules. Could
29 > someone send a sample of this file?
30
31 You mead /etc/rc.d/config/modules ?
32 If so just add your required modules with parameters if neede there.
33
34 achim~
38 > I know that you are busy, so answer this when you can, no hurry.
39 >
40 > Thank You
41 > Ron
42 >