From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Decision to remove stage1/2 from installation documentation
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 15:18:27
1 On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 15:37 +0100, Andrea Barisani wrote:
2 > On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 02:47:45PM +0000, Kurt Lieber wrote:
3 > > We have received *numerous* complaints from users about the decision to
4 > > remove stage 1 and 2 from the installation documentation. I realize it's
5 > > still available if users are willing to dig for it, but not all users do.
6 > >
7 > > In my years of monitoring www@g.o, we've received the most
8 > > complaints about this decision than any other single decision. Is there a
9 > > way we can re-introduce the stages into the installation documentation,
10 > > perhaps with gigantic warnings saying, "for advanced users only" or "use at
11 > > your own risk"?
12 > >
13 > > --kurt
16 > I perfectly agree with this request, we should provide the choice and clear
17 > point that out (along with all the correlated risks) instead of simply
18 > "hiding" the option. And I sincerely hope there's no intention to remove
19 > stage1/stage2 tarballs in the future because that would be a really a bad thing
20 > imho.
21
22 The problem with listing risks and such is the users aren't listening.
23
24 They are ignoring our warnings and breaking their own systems, then
25 filing bugs. The problem is that these are *not* bugs, but issues with
26 incompatibility. It is impossible to install something that requires a
27 configured kernel before you have a configured kernel.
28
29 Now, on the topic of the tarballs.
30
31 Give me one example of something that you can do with a stage1 or stage2
32 tarball that you cannot with a stage3 tarball.
35 Chris Gianelloni
36 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
37 x86 Architecture Team
38 Games - Developer