From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [GLEP] Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI)
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 01:17:19
1 On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 18:05:23 -0700
2 Joe Peterson <lavajoe@g.o> wrote:
3 > This option is worth thinking about more - there may be satisfactory
4 > ways to mediate the issues. It is certainly more elegant
5
6 Introducing new parse and format requirements upon bash files is most
7 definitely not elegant... Everything that currently tries to parse bash
8 that is itself not bash is full of weird bugs. And imposing weird and
9 arbitrary requirements about whitespace, positioning etc is far more
10 prone to developer screwup than the filename approach.
11
12 > and it avoids another nasty gotcha: that of the pre-source and
13 > post-source EAPI disagreeing. Generally, I find that having the same
14 > info in two places should be avoided whenever possible. I know the
15 > GLEP contains ways of determining the "real" EAPI in this case
16 > (post-source), but I can imagine most humans will simply get used to
17 > looking at the filename and potentially miss the fact that it doesn't
18 > match, and programs that look only pre-source can be mislead.
19
20 The GLEP's rules are merely to ensure a sane upgrade path. EAPI being
21 specified in two sets of places will only happen if a developer screws
22 up and ignores warnings from QA tools.
25 Ciaran McCreesh