From: Joe Peterson <lavajoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [GLEP] Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI)
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 01:08:07
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 01:36:51 +0100
3 > Thomas de Grenier de Latour <degrenier@×××××××××××.fr> wrote:
4 >> Why can't it be in the file but readable without sourcing? For
5 >> instance, it could be mandatory that EAPI=X, if present, must be the
6 >> first non-blank and non-comment line of the ebuild (and it would then
7 >> be checked after sourcing, if the ebuild is sourced, to bug on cases
8 >> where it's redefined or unset afterwards).
9 >
10 > That's another option. It's considered less ideal because it's a nasty
11 > hack -- it imposes restrictions beyond "it's bash" upon the format of
12 > ebuilds.
13
14 This option is worth thinking about more - there may be satisfactory
15 ways to mediate the issues. It is certainly more elegant, and it avoids
16 another nasty gotcha: that of the pre-source and post-source EAPI
17 disagreeing. Generally, I find that having the same info in two places
18 should be avoided whenever possible. I know the GLEP contains ways of
19 determining the "real" EAPI in this case (post-source), but I can
20 imagine most humans will simply get used to looking at the filename and
21 potentially miss the fact that it doesn't match, and programs that look
22 only pre-source can be mislead.
23
24 -Joe
25 --