From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] My masterplan for git migration (+ looking for infra to test it)
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 01:01:11
1 On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 4:02 PM, Diamond <diamond@××××××.ru> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 14:51:56 -0400
3 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> In general you want each commit to represent a single "change." That
6 >> might be a revbump in a single package, or it might be a package move
7 >> that involves touching 300 packages in a single commit.
8 >
9 > Is it right that you are going to move portage packages to
10 > git/github/..?
11
12 The intent is to move to git. Git is an scm. Github is a service
13 that hosts git repositories with some other value-adds. There is
14 interest in mirroring gentoo-x86 on github to help entice more to
15 contribute (assuming they like working with github), but the nature of
16 git makes it very easy to mirror a repository on as many sites as you
17 care to. That is one of the reasons that it is so popular with FOSS.
18
19 > How are you going to make "revbump" with git?
20
21 With cvs a revbump is:
22 cp foo-1.ebuild foo-2.ebuild
23 cvs add foo-2.ebuild
24 cvs commit
25
26 With git a revbump is:
27 cp foo-1.ebuild foo-2.ebuild
28 git add foo-2.ebuild
29 git commit
30
31 (I left out changelogs, repoman, etc, since there is no change with
32 any of these, and I left out syncing the git repo.)
33
34 There really is nothing new here.
35
36 > Especially
37 > if you need to see the diff between packagename-0.1-r1 and
38 > packagename-0.1-r2 ebuilds? Git doesn't do this by default and it
39 > will might be a nightmare to compare such revbumps by hand.
42 cvs doesn't do anything to compare the contents of different files.
43 So, there really is no loss here.
46 Rich