From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] My masterplan for git migration (+ looking for infra to test it)
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 05:05:02
1 On 18 September 2014 13:01, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > With git a revbump is:
4 > cp foo-1.ebuild foo-2.ebuild
5 > git add foo-2.ebuild
6 > git commit
7 >
8 > (I left out changelogs, repoman, etc, since there is no change with
9 > any of these, and I left out syncing the git repo.)
10 >
11 > There really is nothing new here.
12 >
13 > > Especially
14 > > if you need to see the diff between packagename-0.1-r1 and
15 > > packagename-0.1-r2 ebuilds? Git doesn't do this by default and it
16 > > will might be a nightmare to compare such revbumps by hand.
19 > cvs doesn't do anything to compare the contents of different files.
20 > So, there really is no loss here.
23 What's more, you can in fact do:
24
25 git mv foo-1.ebuild foo-2.ebuild
26 git commit
27
28 and you can still easily tell git to show that as a difference in a log.
29
30 Example script to emulate this and example output:
31 https://gist.github.com/kentfredric/10e93e9aac875e9edb93
32
33 ( In fact, you don't even have to use 'git mv', as long as you change the
34 tree state completely, git is smart enough to track most changes )
37 Kent
38
39 *KENTNL* - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL