From: Diamond <diamond@××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] My masterplan for git migration (+ looking for infra to test it)
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 19:33:49
1 On Thu, 18 Sep 2014 17:04:55 +1200
2 Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > What's more, you can in fact do:
5 >
6 > git mv foo-1.ebuild foo-2.ebuild
7 > git commit
8 >
9 > and you can still easily tell git to show that as a difference in a
10 > log.
11 >
12 > Example script to emulate this and example output:
13 > https://gist.github.com/kentfredric/10e93e9aac875e9edb93
14 >
15 > ( In fact, you don't even have to use 'git mv', as long as you change
16 > the tree state completely, git is smart enough to track most changes )
17 >
18 Lets assume, that I don't want to scrap old ebuild yet. There's no git
19 cp command. git mv is just git rm + git add. That's what does it look
20 like (usual revbump with git add in reality):
21 https://github.com/cerebrum/dr/commit/311df9b04d876f5847416fe5ba699edfab50adb6
22 I think that git (at least with default config is a pain in the ass for
23 packages at all and we should probably think about better platform for
24 portage).