From: Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Ideas for a (fast) EAPI=3
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 16:00:30
1 Hi,
2
3 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>:
4
5 > On Mon, 9 Mar 2009 20:58:40 -0700
6 > Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
7 > > You can't test everything. I think for a small project like exherbo
8 > > where everyone basically sees eye to eye on a number of ideas this
9 > > works great. Everyone agrees testing is super and they will fix
10 > > broken tests or RESTRICT them. But Gentoo is bigger, and people
11 > > have varying opinions, and on this topic the opinions are rather
12 > > strong; so I kindly ask that you drop it. There are plenty of
13 > > other far more useful features on your list that are worth your
14 > > time and will actually slide through rather quickly ;)
15 >
16 > Well, the alternative is to drop src_test all together. If a test
17 > failure is meaningless, having the test is meaningless.
18
19 No, some software like in sci-* has test suites that a user wants to
20 run probably before productively using that software. But the user
21 should opt for and not against it.
22
23 V-Li
26 Christian Faulhammer, Gentoo Lisp project
27 <URL:http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/>, #gentoo-lisp on FreeNode
28
29 <URL:http://www.faulhammer.org/>