From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI usage
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 21:10:21
1 On Sun, Sep 02, 2012 at 10:36:13AM -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 09/02/2012 09:46 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 > > On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 9:10 AM, Andreas K. Huettel <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
4 > >> What I dont actually understand at all is why bumping the EAPI should be so
5 > >> complicated or involved that it even deserves so much resistance...
6 > >
7 > > <rant>Ok, it REALLY annoys me when people pull out this kind of a line
8 > > in an argument... If it isn't all that complicated or involved and it
9 > > just makes so much sense, then why do we bother to waste time asking
10 > > for it to be made policy, since obviously everybody will just do it
11 > > anyway...
12 > >
13 > > Believe it or not, people who take up an opposing side in a debate
14 > > don't ALWAYS do it because they're simply dumber than you. That is,
15 > > unless they're arguing with me... :) </rant>
19 > I think everyone would be happier if all ebuilds in the tree were EAPI4.
20 > On the other hand, Rich is right that making this a policy will have the
21 > opposite of the intended effect: developers just won't fix bugs in
22 > EAPI<4 ebuilds when they don't have time to do the EAPI bump (one could
23 > easily spend a few hours on this).
24 >
25 > As a compromise, it could be made policy that "bump to EAPI=foo" bugs
26 > are valid. If someone would benefit from such a bump, he can file a bug
27 > and know that it won't be closed WONTFIX. On the other hand, the dev is
28 > under no more pressure than usual to do the bump.
29
30 If you attach a patch and have done the legwork, sure.
31
32 If you're just opening bugs w/ "bump to EAPI=monkeys", bluntly, it's
33 noise and it's annoying. EAPI bump requests for pkgs that need to
34 move forward so an eclass can be cleaned up/moved forward, sure, but
35 arbitrary "please go bump xyz" without a specific reason (and/or
36 legwork done if not) isn't helpful. Kind of equivalent to zero-day
37 bump requests in my view in terms of usefulness.
38
39 ~harring