From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI usage
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2012 14:37:32
1 On 09/02/2012 09:46 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 9:10 AM, Andreas K. Huettel <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
3 >> What I dont actually understand at all is why bumping the EAPI should be so
4 >> complicated or involved that it even deserves so much resistance...
5 >
6 > <rant>Ok, it REALLY annoys me when people pull out this kind of a line
7 > in an argument... If it isn't all that complicated or involved and it
8 > just makes so much sense, then why do we bother to waste time asking
9 > for it to be made policy, since obviously everybody will just do it
10 > anyway...
11 >
12 > Believe it or not, people who take up an opposing side in a debate
13 > don't ALWAYS do it because they're simply dumber than you. That is,
14 > unless they're arguing with me... :) </rant>
18 I think everyone would be happier if all ebuilds in the tree were EAPI4.
19 On the other hand, Rich is right that making this a policy will have the
20 opposite of the intended effect: developers just won't fix bugs in
21 EAPI<4 ebuilds when they don't have time to do the EAPI bump (one could
22 easily spend a few hours on this).
23
24 As a compromise, it could be made policy that "bump to EAPI=foo" bugs
25 are valid. If someone would benefit from such a bump, he can file a bug
26 and know that it won't be closed WONTFIX. On the other hand, the dev is
27 under no more pressure than usual to do the bump.