From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] making metadata.xml pay off and removing pkg_postinst crud
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 02:00:28
1 right now we're doing all our informative output inside pkg_postinst simply
2 because it's the last function run by emerge when emerging a new pkg ...
3 this is really not the reason pkg_postinst was created (displaying informative
4 output to the user), but i havent said anything before because we never had a
5 solution to 'fix' the situation ...
6
7 but now ive got it ! lets finally use metadata :)
8 i propose we add a section, maybe call it <howto> or <postinstconfig> or
9 something similar, or maybe have a few considering there are a few steps to
10 take when properly using some packages ... plus we wouldnt have to worry
11 about logging said informative output with some kludge that portage
12 implements because the user missed the message as it flew by his screen in a
13 multi-merge process ...
14 we extend the use of '-h' in emerge ...
15
16 for example, say i want to know 'howto' setup mysql ...
17 root@vapier 0 root # emerge --help dev-db/mysql
18 You might want to run:
19 ebuild /var/db/pkg/dev-db/mysql-4.0.14/mysql-4.0.14.ebuild config
20 if this is a new install.
21 it will auto generate the basic mysql databases for you.
22
23 or, i just installed these sexy new X cursors ...
24 root@vapier 0 root # emerge --help x11-themes/silver-xcursors
25 To use this set of cursors, edit or create the file ~/.Xdefaults
26 and add the following line:
27 Xcursor.theme: Silver
28
29 Also, you can change the size by adding a line like:
30 Xcursor.size: 48
31
32 To globally use this set of mouse cursors edit the file:
33 /usr/share/cursors/xfree/default/index.theme
34 and change the line:
35 Inherits=[current setting]
37 Inherits=Silver
38 Note this will be overruled by a user's ~/.Xdefaults file.
39
40 If you experience flickering, try setting the following line in
41 the Device section of your XF86Config:
42 Option "HWCursor" "false"
43
44 if people like the idea, ill put together a bug and/or some portage patches
45 -mike
48 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list