From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Pluggable Hell Part 2: Fixing everything up!
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 23:13:48
1 On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 00:11 +0200, Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò wrote:
2
3 > > > openpam will pdepend on
4 > > > freebsd-pam-modules to provide both in a simple way.
5 > > Why? What good will they do on linux? Just stick them in bsd profile.
6 > Mainly, openpam is shipped without any kind of module. If someone would like
7 > to replace Linux-PAM with openpam on a Linux system (it's possible), I'd much
8 > prefer to provide it with everything he needs. Linux-PAM builds its own
9 > modules, openpam just provide pam implementation and needs other packages to
10 > provide the basic modules. FreeBSD's modules should work on Linux and this
11 > would make possible the switch between Linux-PAM and openpam.
14 I was more talking about the virtual/pam-modules (or whatever). Having
15 a a PDEPEND is just fine.
16
17 > > Like I said before, only real reason why I will biatch about this one,
18 > > is its called 'pam' on all linux distro's, and it will be another lost
19 > > history (ok, so the workaround is a schlepp) case without real cause.
20 > Actually it's called libpam usually :)
21 > Mainly, calling it pam is usual on linux-centric systems, but as Gentoo is not
22 > only Linux, and "it's all about choice", having it called as it's named,
23 > IMHO, is a way to state clearly what it is.
24 > Just take a look to telnet-bsd and netkit-telnetd. On Debian there's
25 > netkit-telnet which is called just telnet.
26 > Anyway this is only "cosmetic" and for what I "need" or better I feel is
27 > needed, this is something which can be omissed.
30 Like I said - its more just me than anything else.
31
32 > > Ugh, no - just more crud that somebody will have to clean out later.
33 > > Like I said, get pam-0.78 and issues fixed, bumped to stable on all
34 > > linux archs, and we can scourge the tree.
35 > That's a decision up to you as pam mantainers :)
36 > Anyway I'm available to add the temporary fixes, trace them, and remove them
37 > when all is done, if needed.
40 Id rather just do it cleanly.
41
42 > > > I'll work anyway on a pam_stack hack for openpam, also if I'm not sure
43 > > > if, when and how I'll be able to make it work... also I don't like too
44 > > > much messing with security stuff :/
45 > > Sorry, you are on your own here.
46 > I know and I'll try to do everything I can, but if in the mean time it could
47 > be used the other method should be enough until there's a way to "support"
48 > pam_stack on openpam.
51 Well, the include should work, be the cleanest and less up and down way
52 (you really do not want to coordinate a big change across the tree in
53 more than one direction more than once - you usually end up burning
54 yourself) - I'll work through the pam bugs for 0.78, and see if we can
55 get it pushed to stable.
58 Thanks,
61 Martin Schlemmer
62 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
63 Cape Town, South Africa