From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [LARGE MESSAGE] Media-sound reorganization!
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 20:47:07
1 On Sun, 2004-11-07 at 14:18 -0800, M. Edward Borasky wrote:
2 > Hmmm ... Debian's tree is (roughly) twice as big, and their hierarchy is
3 > also single-level (sections, they call them). Both Debian's and Gentoo's
4 > are unusable without searching. In fact, Gentoo's is unusable without
5 > "esearch"; that along with "ufed" ought to be in "stage3", don't you
6 > think?
7
8 emerge -s and emerge -S work fine for me and there's no way ufed (which
9 doesn't work with cascading profiles last I checked) should be added
10 into any stage. The packages in stage3 are *only* the "system"
11 packages. Neither ufed nor esearch are required for a functioning
12 system. I take my machines and my girlfriend's machine as prime
13 examples. They are 100% functioning Gentoo machines and have neither
14 esearch nor ufed on them, nor have they ever.
17 Chris Gianelloni
18 Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager
19 Games - Developer
20 Gentoo Linux