From: "M. Edward Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>
To: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [LARGE MESSAGE] Media-sound reorganization!
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 22:18:57
1 On Sun, 2004-11-07 at 14:12, George Shapovalov wrote:
2 > So, can we finally get something decided on arbitrary depth categories?
3 >
4 > Not to put any additional pressure on portage devs, they are overworked as it
5 > is already, but just something like "yea, its a good thing, we can do it
6 > after such and such features are implemented" or "nah, we are going to just
7 > go with a flat list of packages in the future and resort to searches
8 > anyway" (to make both camps happy ;)). The tree, the way it is now, clearly
9 > does not scale.
10 Hmmm ... Debian's tree is (roughly) twice as big, and their hierarchy is
11 also single-level (sections, they call them). Both Debian's and Gentoo's
12 are unusable without searching. In fact, Gentoo's is unusable without
13 "esearch"; that along with "ufed" ought to be in "stage3", don't you
14 think?
18 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list