From: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [LARGE MESSAGE] Media-sound reorganization!
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 22:41:50
1 On Sunday 07 November 2004 14:18, M. Edward Borasky wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2004-11-07 at 14:12, George Shapovalov wrote:
3 > > So, can we finally get something decided on arbitrary depth categories?
4 > Hmmm ... Debian's tree is (roughly) twice as big, and their hierarchy is
5 > also single-level (sections, they call them). Both Debian's and Gentoo's
6 > are unusable without searching.
7 Searchability has its strong points, browsability has other strong points
8 (say, you want to see what's available on certain topic. Searching for some
9 word in the name ore description not always gives all the options..). I think
10 we need both.
11 Besides this is not a new proposal. This topic was coming up quite a few times
12 already, but never really decided upon.
13
14 > In fact, Gentoo's is unusable without
15 > "esearch"; that along with "ufed" ought to be in "stage3", don't you
16 > think?
17 Well, esearch has a separate database which has to be manually rebuilt, so
18 this is a separate utility, although a prime candidate for gentoolkit. As for
19 putting it into a stage3, not really sure either way.
20 WRT ufed, yea, but I would prefer seeing something a bit more organized
21 there :) (with the ability to turn on/off local flags at least).
22
23 George
27 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list