From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] client/server policy for ebuilds
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 20:44:20
1 This is the "official" (hehe) request for comments on making a policy of
2 how to handle ebuilds than can be used for either client or server and
3 how to allow for building client-only.
4
5 The idea is quite simple.
6
7 Gentoo's standard operating procedure is to build packages as they were
8 intended and packaged from upstream. This means if the client and the
9 server for a particular package is in a single package, we should build
10 both by default. To facilitate building the client portions only, the
11 use of the local "minimal" USE flag is allowed. This can be shown in
12 the openldap and dhcp ebuilds. Each package which uses this flag should
13 document what is built when the "minimal" USE flag is in use, via
14 use.local.desc as it will remove any ambiguity into what is being done.
15 Because of this, I would request that "minimal" not become a global USE
16 flag, since its meaning would actually be different between some
17 packages, for example, "minimal" in xorg-server, that causes it to only
18 build the primary server, and not the secondary servers, such as DMX.
21 Chris Gianelloni
22 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
23 x86 Architecture Team
24 Games - Developer