From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] client/server policy for ebuilds
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 22:26:46
1 On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 16:35 -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > This is the "official" (hehe) request for comments on making a policy of
3 > how to handle ebuilds than can be used for either client or server and
4 > how to allow for building client-only.
5 >
6 > The idea is quite simple.
7 >
8 > Gentoo's standard operating procedure is to build packages as they were
9 > intended and packaged from upstream. This means if the client and the
10 > server for a particular package is in a single package, we should build
11 > both by default. To facilitate building the client portions only, the
12 > use of the local "minimal" USE flag is allowed. This can be shown in
13 > the openldap and dhcp ebuilds.
14
15 That is backwards however.
16 The first ebuild to take advantage of building server/client
17 was net-snmp and it uses minimal to build only the snmpd, snmptrapd.
18 Sense then others have been bastardizing the USE flag.
19
20 Being that net-snmp was historically first in doing this I'd rather
21 not have to change all my setups on all my servers to accommodate your
22 idea of inverting the logic of declaring it minimal to mean client-only.
23
24 > Each package which uses this flag should
25 > document what is built when the "minimal" USE flag is in use, via
26 > use.local.desc as it will remove any ambiguity into what is being done.
27 > Because of this, I would request that "minimal" not become a global USE
28 > flag, since its meaning would actually be different between some
29 > packages,
30
31 Seems logical.
32
33 But for what you are proposing I'd suggest not making USE of minimal at
34 all for this. I'd rather see that flag reserved for mostly
35 embedded alike use.
36
37 -peace
41 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>