From: Christoph Mende <angelos@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: location of portage tree
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 18:55:08
1 On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 8:43 PM, Aaron W. Swenson <titanofold@g.o> wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA256
4 >
5 > On 03/27/2012 03:05 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
6 >> All,
7 >>
8 >> I know this has come up before, but I don't really recall what the
9 >> specific objections were.
10 >>
11 >> IMO the portage directory doesn't belong under /usr at all. I was
12 >> chatting with another developer who uses
13 >> /var/cache/portage/{tree,distfiles}, and I'm thinking about
14 >> switching my default setup to do this.
15 >>
16 >> I realize that historically the portage tree has been installed
17 >> under /usr, but Can we consider changing this default for new
18 >> installations and providing instructions for users for how to get
19 >> the portage tree out of /usr? William
22 > So, we're all getting way off topic and discussing reorganizing the
23 > whole enchilada.
24 >
25 > How about we all agree or disagree on the primary point: The Portage
26 > tree doesn't belong in /usr.
27 >
28 > I believe that it does belong under /var/cache/.
29
30 I believe it's /var/lib/<name>. Here's what FHS says:
31 /var/cache is intended for cached data from applications. Such data is
32 locally generated as a result of time-consuming I/O or calculation.
33 The application must be able to regenerate or restore the data. Unlike
34 /var/spool, the cached files can be deleted without data loss.
35
36 And:
37 /var/lib/<name> is the location that must be used for all distribution
38 packaging support.