From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: How not to discuss
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 20:54:28
1 On Fri, 29 May 2009 23:49:26 +0200
2 Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Friday 29 May 2009 04:12:04 Ryan Hill wrote:
5
6 > > Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
7
8 > > but ever consider that the reason people keep
9 > > repeating things to you is that you continually misunderstand what they're
10 > > saying?
11
12 > I'd say it is more the refusal of certain people to discuss at all.
13 > The constant attempts to shove a rational discussion into emotional pockets
14 > makes it quite hard to get any information out of it, statements like:
15
16 > > No, it's entirely objective. GLEP 55 clearly shows how the filename
17 > > based options are objectively better than anything else.
18
19 > are just wrong. It ignores one side of the conversation completely, not even
20 > accepting any potential value in their contribution. It's not a way to lead a
21 > technical discussion, and I'll do what I can to reduce such sophistry so we
22 > can _discuss_ things rationally.
23
24 Allow me to be blunt, since it's gone over your head again. You have no idea
25 what you're talking about. None of your "technical arguments" are
26 technical. Your attempts to be the "better person" by offering up helpful
27 advice about how to have a technical discussion come off as egotistic and
28 naive, as there was a technical discussion happening long before you started
29 interjecting ridiculous hand-wavy assertions such as "overlays are
30 unsupported" and "cache is almost always up-to-date", and highly
31 hypocritical, as you manage to break most of the rules you lay out /later in
32 the very same post/. You are being played with, Mr. Kitten, and statements
33 such as you quoted above are balls of yarn tossed your way to see how long it
34 takes you to pounce. I'm tired of playing, as I'm sure you are. So please,
35 let's be quiet now, and let the big people talk.
39 gcc-porting, by design, by neglect
40 treecleaner, for a fact or just for effect
41 wxwidgets @ gentoo EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662