From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Auto adding packages to world was -> Sets vs Meta ebuilds
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 03:43:50
1 On 12/07/17 04:22, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 >
3 > Step back for a minute, and relax. There is a reason you're getting
4 > blowback. You're asking for changes that would affect everybody else.
5 > This is similar in principle to what Lennart Poettering did, and you're
6 > getting the same reaction he got. I understand that *YOU* want changes
7 > to how Portage works on *YOUR* machine. No problem. Set
8 > EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS in make.conf. If you want excruciating detail on
9 > --depclean then check the small script I posted elsewhere in this
10 > thread. Portage has many customization options; use them.
11 >
12 > If you can't be bothered to use available customization options to set
13 > up your machine to your liking, but ask for a change of defaults that
14 > also affects everybody else, don't be surprised at the negative reaction.
15 > You would've gotten a much better reception, if you had gone to the
16 > gentoo-user list and asked "How do I tweak Portage to do this, that, and
17 > the other".
18 >
19 +1
20
21 Of course, you can do what Poettering did, and write your own solution
22 .. or fork portage to do things the way -you- want .. but don't reinvent
23 the wheel for the rest of us .. that's what Choice and Gentoo is all
24 about ...