From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Auto adding packages to world was -> Sets vs Meta ebuilds
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 03:22:43
1 On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 04:57:21PM -0400, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote
2 > On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 13:27:57 -0700
3 > Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > Portage's fault. If you don't want a package added to a set or world,
6 > > you'll need to use the -1 (--oneshot) option.
7 >
8 > Did you even read above? I clearly state WITHOUT -1 option....
9 >
10 > > I added it to my default
11 > > emerge options in make.conf for exactly that reason (clean world);
12 >
13 > The point is people should not have to do such. Or remember to always
14 > use -1 when re-emerging a dep, system, world, or set package.
15
16 Step back for a minute, and relax. There is a reason you're getting
17 blowback. You're asking for changes that would affect everybody else.
18 This is similar in principle to what Lennart Poettering did, and you're
19 getting the same reaction he got. I understand that *YOU* want changes
20 to how Portage works on *YOUR* machine. No problem. Set
21 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS in make.conf. If you want excruciating detail on
22 --depclean then check the small script I posted elsewhere in this
23 thread. Portage has many customization options; use them.
24
25 If you can't be bothered to use available customization options to set
26 up your machine to your liking, but ask for a change of defaults that
27 also affects everybody else, don't be surprised at the negative reaction.
28 You would've gotten a much better reception, if you had gone to the
29 gentoo-user list and asked "How do I tweak Portage to do this, that, and
30 the other".
33 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
34 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications