From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Auto adding packages to world was -> Sets vs Meta ebuilds
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 04:00:35
1 On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 23:22:12 -0400
2 "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >
4 > Step back for a minute, and relax. There is a reason you're getting
5 > blowback. You're asking for changes that would affect everybody else.
6 > This is similar in principle to what Lennart Poettering did, and
7 > you're getting the same reaction he got. I understand that *YOU*
8 > want changes to how Portage works on *YOUR* machine. No problem. Set
9 > EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS in make.conf. If you want excruciating detail on
10 > --depclean then check the small script I posted elsewhere in this
11 > thread. Portage has many customization options; use them.
12
13 I am relaxed, and if you understand what I am proposing. It will only
14 help everyone. There is no harm in adding warmings that provide
15 additional information.
16
17 Preventing stuff from being added to world is moot, as that stuff comes
18 from something else, profile, set, etc. It being added to world serves
19 no purpose, Just can cause issues down the road. Stuff remaining that
20 may have not been wanted, but ended up in world so persists and gets
21 updated, etc.
22
23 What purpose does system profile packages saved in world serve?
24
25 These changes are NOT for me... I can edit and code myself. This is for
26 others per this discussion. Others brought up sets accidentally
27 removing system stuff, etc. Thus these ideas came up as ways to prevent
28 others from shooting themselves in the foot.
29
30 The blowback is mostly because its me, and people are misunderstanding
31 things. Like the mention of -c/--depclean. Which does not have the same
32 function as -C/--unmerge. That sidetracked things and added nothing.
33
34 > If you can't be bothered to use available customization options to
35 > set up your machine to your liking, but ask for a change of defaults
36 > that also affects everybody else, don't be surprised at the negative
37 > reaction. You would've gotten a much better reception, if you had
38 > gone to the gentoo-user list and asked "How do I tweak Portage to do
39 > this, that, and the other".
40
41 How many times do I have to say I use -1, and others like -O. People
42 do not pay attention...
43
44 Again I do much of this via ansible and profiles. I am not even using a
45 world file, or sets even. I did use sets before my custom profiles. Did
46 I always use -1 for the past over a decade no? Should all users have to
47 in order to prevent needless stuff from being recorded in world.
48
49 Please do not assume what I am or am not doing and problems I am not
50 having. This is stuff for others. I am seeing problems that OTHERS can
51 run into per the discussion on sets. From things OTHERS mentioned as
52 issues with using sets.
53
54 Bugs are filed.
57 William L. Thomson Jr.